Museums and Special Projects
Springbok Lodge sponsors the Nababeep Mining Museum and the Blue Mine hiking trail. The museum in situated in the small mining town of Nababeep, 22km from Springbok. It tells the very interesting story of the copper industry in Namaqualand and also has a display on how copper is mined in this area.
The Blue Mine, situated on the north western extremities of Springbok, was the first commercial mine of any kind in South Africa and it is also the reason that the town of Springbok is here today. In 1852 Phillips and King of Cape Town bought part of the farm Melkboschkuil and an open cast copper mine was established there. Richer deposits of copper was discovered at O'Okiep and Nababeep and the copper mining industry shifted there. This part of the farm Melkboschkuil first became known as Springbokfontein and in 1933, it was renamed Springbok. Springbok has since developed into the centre of business, the mining industry and agriculture for the entire Namaqualand region.
Springbok Lodge & Restaurant
37 Voortrekker St
PO Box 26 Springbok 8240
Tel: +27(0) 27 712 1321. Fax: + 27(0) 27 712 2718.
Clara at Nababeep Mine Museum